Monday, July 2, 2007

Today's Roanoke City Council Meeting .......... Roy Stanley Memorial Golf Course

The Golf Course no one uses according to City Council
At today's Roanoke City Council meeting Councilman Lea asked City Attorney, Bill Hackworth, what was the status on renaming Countryside to Roy Stanley Memorial Golf Course. Mr. Hackworth advised that it would be on the Planning Commission's agenda July 19th.
.
This will be after the July 16th Council meeting so the earliest it could be adopted would be August 6th. I don't understand why it could not have been discussed following the last City Council meeting on June 18th as the Planning Commission meeting followed on Thursday June 21st.
.
The parking lot is empty and golf carts and golfers you see are a mirage.

4 comments:

Newt said...

I don't understand why it could not have been discussed following the last City Council meeting on June 18th
...you think it's because wasn't something that was part of the plan. Shoot, if they name the course...they might just have to keep it open.

Unknown said...

Newt, I asked this qustion of Councilman Lea in an email after the meeting. According to the previous discussion at the June Council Meeting having it go to the Planning Commission was not necessary as all they do is send it back to Council anyway. I asked Mr. Lea if there could be a way to poll the Planning Commission memebers and get a vote on it for the July 16th meeting. The response was "I will work hard to get it done".

Interpret that response for me and I'll give ALL my golf balls.

Newt said...

Wow...for hundreds of pristine backyard golf balls, I'd do just about anything!

"I will work hard to get it done".

Means:

"Don't you worry. I'll make sure that the golf course remains in operation forever. Furthermore, I'll make sure that the city invests in the course and restores it to its championship form."

Do I get the golf balls now?

Unknown said...

Scooter, is that you?

Now that I've stopped LMAO at your spin on this finely honed political response I can say it is probably a 10 ball award. Ten good balls - not scuffed and none of those pink ones. Just picked up two this evening.