Monday, March 3, 2008

Today I Announced For City Council

Barely recovering from the flu with a voice not quite sounding like me I forged ahead with my scheduled 10:00 AM announcement today. Go to the Garner For Council blog and read the text and see the nice setup my friend "Cutty" Edwards had for me at the Holiday Inn. I felt like Hillary Clinton standing up there, "my friends".
.
Very nice of Brian Townsend to email me this morning regarding the agenda item scheduled for vote today. I noticed that the agenda item was identified more accurately as I objected to at the February 19th Public Hearing where the acre was identified only as "vacant city-owned property". Today's agenda carried the wording as "vacant city-owned property" located at Countryside Golf Course. The acre to be sold to Newbern, LLC:
.
7:27 AM - Ms. Garner...given that we will not have 2 City Council members at our meeting today, the City Council will not act on the matter related to the conveyance of the 1+- acre of property at Countryside to Newbern Properties. As you might recall from the last City Council meeting, state law is very specific about how many councilpersons are required to vote on the conveyance of public property. I am not sure what date the Council will move this item to at this time. However, I wanted to let you know this in case you were planning to come to the meeting today at 2pm.
.
Brian Townsend
Assistant City Manager for Community Development
.
JUST IN from Brian Townsend at 3:00 PM:
Ms. Garner...today at its meeting, the City Council tabled the matter regarding the Conveyance of 1.05 acres of the Countryside Golf Course to Newbern Properties until their April 7th meeting at 2pm.
.
PS: I swear it seems like that stake gets closer to Frontage Road every time I go by it. As I took yet my 100th picture of the stake I met "Ernie" of "Ernie's" downtown and he said he has been asking Mayor Harris regularly: "What are you going to do with Countryside Golf Course?" It seems Ernie has been a member of Countryside "forever". He thanked us all for working so hard to keep it. As I expected Ernie did not know what the stakes were for and is really concerned about it now. Ernie wants to buy me lunch so you betcha I'll be visiting Ernie's real soon.

No comments: