Thursday, September 27, 2007

Ward System of Government for Roanoke City?

When are five heads better than seven? Are two heads better than one?
.
The second question first: Two heads are better than one if they work together for the good of the whole doing twice the work. If the two heads are looking in opposite directions and sitting on their heads then I say cut off the other head (figuratively) and give me one head with common sense.
.
Roanoke County has five supervisors with more population. Though county residents may differ on their performance they represent districts, Cave Spring, Hollins, etc. Do they stay in touch with the citizens they represent? I hope so as that is the whole idea of having district representation.
.
Is it time to visit the Ward system of government in Roanoke City? Wait this was considered in July of 1997. What happened then? I was not living in Virginia at that time and can find nothing but a brief comment about it. So anyone knowing what transpired during that time and this map - CLICK HERE FOR MAP.
.
Would we be better represented in what would be Ward No. 1 according to the 1997 consideration. If the current Council members who live in "our Ward" had to actually answer to us I think it would be better. I think this would keep out the moneychangers from the election.
.
When I did a google search for fun with "when are five heads better than seven"? I came up with this:
.
.
What does this have to do with Roanoke City Government you ask? This is all yours to answer.

No comments: