Thursday, May 3, 2007

Correspondence With the Airport Commission

A year or so ago, I wrote to the Airport Commission questioning their position on the Countryside lease. I found it odd that renewal of the lease would suddenly become questionable.

In light of the items that were posted here earlier, you might find it interesting to read the reply that Jacqueline Shuck of the Airport Commission sent me and the subsequent copy of a
Roanoke Times article she had copied for me.

I find it interesting that Ms. Shuck suggests that golf course management never applied for an extended lease. "Perhaps this is because they were not interested in continuing to own Countryside or because they could redesign and continue operating without our land...." Given that the course operated at a profit and that letters from DB in 2002 suggested that the city work to influence the Airport Commission to
NOT renew the lease make me really get a bit suspicious about the whole historical timeline.

I also find it very interesting her reasoning for denying the lease renewal. This is especially interesting in light of the DB note to contact her about non-renewal of the lease back in 2002. It seems to me that I was fed a load of hogwash (or just plain lied to) back in 2005 or 2006 (depending on what date you believe).

Personally, I think this whole thing smells more and more.

Enjoy!

PS Click on the images to make them bigger



2 comments:

Unknown said...

On May 3rd in the RT article: "The city approached Meadowbrook Golf about the land, which was not being marketed for sale, said Geary Leathers, vice president of operations. Countryside has been a financial success, but the company realized that with part of the 18-hole course on land owned by the airport it might not always be available for golf."

Geary Leathers wanted to continue the Operating Agreement. The FOIA material makes one comment about another puchaser. I have an idea about one person who wanted to buy property adjacent to theirs but I have never heard who these "mystery" land barrons were. When asking an airport commission member the lease question - he said it never came to them. It seems clear that they told them it would not be renewed so WHY would they ask? I have something in a letter to that effect thourgh it comes from the City.

Newt said...

"It seems clear that they told them it would not be renewed so WHY would they ask?"

Yeah that's the way I take it, too.

I call shenanigans on it.